Vanguard exchange traded funds (ETFs) and managed funds generally provide access to the same underlying asset class.
For example, the Vanguard Australian Shares Index ETF and the Vanguard Australian Shares Index Fund own the same underlying assets.
The difference between the two is that a managed fund is not listed on a stock exchange, whereas an ETF is and thereby enables greater trading flexibility, liquidity and intraday pricing. Your choice will come down to which type of investment vehicle best suits you.
You can learn more about managed funds and ETFs in the Learn section of the Vanguard website.
There are 3 ways you can transfer money into your Vanguard Cash Account:
- Direct debit through your linked Australian bank account. To make a direct debit, simply select log in to Vanguard Online > Cash > Deposit and then follow the instructions.
- Direct credit from your bank account using your Vanguard Cash Account BSB and account number. Your BSB and account number is shown under the heading 'Vanguard Cash Account.'
- BPAY®: You can find the biller code and customer reference number (CRN) when you select 'Deposit with BPAY' from the 'Cash' screen within Vanguard Online.
Vanguard managed funds
A minimum purchase amount of $500 applies to the initial purchase of any managed fund. There is no minimum investment amount when you are adding to an existing managed fund that you already hold units in.
Vanguard ETFs and listed shares
A minimum purchase amount of $500 applies to all Australian listed Vanguard ETFs and ASX listed shares (plus a $9 flat brokerage fee per trade).
If you hold investments paying distributions or dividends, you'll receive either additional units or cash.
- Prior to payments being made*, to reflect the current value of your portfolio, any amounts due will appear as 'Pending distributions and / or dividends payable' within your 'My portfolio'.
- The amount within 'Pending distributions and / or dividends payable' will update as payments are made in line with declared payment dates**.
- For managed funds, based on your payment choices:
- Unit (Distribution Reinvestment Program) payments will appear in your 'Transaction history'. Go to your 'My portfolio' for an updated view of your holdings.
- Cash payments will be paid to your Vanguard Cash Account or personal linked bank account if you are a direct investor.
- For ETFs and ASX shares, distributions or dividends can only be paid in cash to your Vanguard Cash Account.
* Managed fund and ETF distribution details can be found by searching for the fund.
**Managed fund distribution 'key dates for quarter end' are available within our Forms and notices section under Investor notices. For specific ETF and shares payment dates, please visit the ASX website and search under the relevant product or company ticker code.