Vanguard Super Pty Ltd ABN 73 643 614 386 (“Vanguard Australia1”, “we”, or “us”), the trustee of Vanguard Super, is committed to respecting your privacy and complying with laws regulating how organisations deal with Personal, Sensitive, and Other information (“information”). This notification sets out important matters relating to how we handle your information.
Why is Vanguard Australia collecting your information?
Vanguard Australia collects information for the purposes including, but not limited to the following:
- to establish and administer accounts and your relationship with us, to fulfill the terms of any agreement you have with us, and to otherwise provide Vanguard Australia's products and services to you;
- to address inquiries and complaints
- to process an insurance application, assess eligibility for insurance cover and manage insurance claims;
- to communicate changes and updates on products and services of Vanguard Super;
- to conduct analysis about products and services to enhance our product and service offerings;
- to protect legal rights and comply with our legal obligations including record-keeping, reporting, tax withholding, and client identification requirements under the following laws: Anti-Money Laundering and Counter-Terrorism Financing Act, Taxation Administration Act, Corporations Act, Income Tax Assessment Act, Privacy Act and the Superannuation Industry (Supervision) Act 1993; and
- for Site and account security purposes
We may also use your information for related purposes which would reasonably be expected.
We collect information directly from the person to whom it relates, where it is practical to do so.
Who may we disclose your information to?
Vanguard Australia may rely on other members of its corporate group or third party service providers to assist us in providing our services. If we disclose your information to other organisations, we will require that they handle information in a way that complies with the Privacy Act.
We may disclose information but not limited to, the following types of organisations:
- organisations involved in providing, managing or administering our products, systems or services such as administrators, mail houses and software and information technology providers;
- the insurer for Vanguard Super;
- auditors, consultants and other professional advisors;
- authorised financial advisors;
- a representative who may be entitled to receive the proceeds from a deceased member’s insurance or account balance (for example a Legal Personal Representative) or any person we contact to assist us in that process;
- other superannuation funds who hold an account in a member’s name, for example, where amounts have been rolled over to or from that fund;
- market research companies who undertake research on behalf of Vanguard Australia; and
- agencies who run competitions or promotions on the Vanguard Super website.
In addition, Vanguard Australia may disclose your information to regulatory bodies or government entities as required or authorised by law including the Australian Prudential Regulation Authority (APRA), Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC), Australian Tax Office (ATO) and the Australian Transaction Reports and Analysis Centre (AUSTRAC). For example, information may be requested by authorities investigating alleged fraudulent or suspicious transactions in relation to a member’s account.
Information that we collect may be disclosed to service providers outside of Australia including the United States, or another jurisdiction outside Australia.
What happens if you don’t provide Vanguard Australia with your information?
If you do not provide all of the information requested by Vanguard Australia, we may not be able to process your application to join Vanguard Super, provide services to you, process your insurance claim or provide you with details about our products and services, or those services may be subject to delays.
- access the information which Vanguard Australia holds about you and seek the correction of such information; and
- complain about a breach of the Australian Privacy Principles, and how Vanguard Australia will deal with such a complaint
You can also contact us at email@example.com or on 1300 655 101 (8:00 am to 6:00 pm Melbourne time, Monday to Friday).